Home security has a whole new meaning in today’s world. Most homes don’t come with much more security than door and window locks and the days of the single burglar alarm are over. A variety of new smart security devices have now been introduced to the market making you increasingly aware of the security of your home.
What is a Smart Home Security Device?
Smart Home Security Devices are essentially alarms/detectors that you can connect to your smart phone or tablet to allow you to have additional security features and notifications. Most of the Smart Home Security Devices come with a set of cameras and/or motion detectors that are wirelessly connected to your smart phone for you to be instantly alerted if a security breach were to happen.
Our Top 5
Yale Smart Home Alarm Kit
The Yale Smart Home Alarm Kit comes with all you need to hit the ground running to make your home more secure. Yale are a big player in terms of security and just having the yellow exterior siren on your house is bound to scare off any potential intruders. All the features work together and connect via the Yale App so you can arm and disarm your intruder alarm via your Smart Phone at any time. Every time the alarm is triggered a notification will be received on your phone. The Alarm Kit comes with an Alarm Hub, Exterior Siren, 2 PIR Motion Detectors which can be added to any room with a notification coming to you if it is activated, a Door Contact which you can attached to any door in your home allowing you to be notified if the door is opened, Key Pad which can be used to arm and disarm the alarms and a Fixing Pack.
Hive Close to Home Plan
Hive have come up with a Home Plan that you pay for on a monthly subscription which includes everything you need to set up your first smart home security plan. The plan comes with the
- Hive View Indoor Camera – The Hive Indoor Camera starts recording as soon as it detects any motion and it can be set up to send a notification to your smart phone when it starts recording.
- Hive Hub – The Hive Hub allows you to connect all your products together so you can easily control from your smart phone
- Hive Active Light Cool to Warm White – Interactive light bulb which can be controlled by your smart phone including changing the brightest and warmth of the light. Ideal for when you’re away and want some lighting on at home.
- Hive Window or Door Sensor – These can be connected to any door or window in your home and will send notifications to your smart phone when one is opened.
- Hive Active Plug – The Hive Active Plug is an adaptor than you plug into your plug socket which then allows you to control it from your smartphone.
- Hive 30-day Video Playback – Watch back the videos from your camera from the last 30 days with Hive’s 30-day Video Playback.
The Ring Doorbell is a battery powered doorbell which has a camera above it. The doorbell connects to your smartphone so that when it is activated you can see exactly who is at the door through the Ring app. The app not only triggers when someone presses the doorbell, but also when there is movement around the doorbell with the customisable motion sensors. The app also allows you to talk to the person at the door through your phone, so you can deter them away, or have a chat if it’s someone you know.
Nest Cam IQ Outdoor Camera
For those who don’t feel it’s necessary to have all the bells and whistles of a full smart security system, Nest offer a variety of different smart cameras that all connect to your phone. Our favourite is the Nest Cam IQ Outdoor Security Camera. This camera has a range of cool features including person alerts which detects a person up to 15 metres and instantly alerts you with a photo of them straight to your smart phone. The camera also has a familiar face feature which stops unwanted alerts when family members arrive home. The camera records in 4K and has a close up tracking view allowing you to zoom in when needed.
August Smart Lock Pro+ Connect
If you’re worried about having lots of keys cut for you house with the risk of people losing them then the August Smart Lock is something you need to look at. This smart lock is fitted to your door and allows you to lock and unlock your door with a smart phone. You can also set it to auto-unlock the door as you approach and auto-lock your door when you leave. The app has the ability to show you whether your door is fully locked or not, easing your mind when you are out of the house. The main feature of this smart lock is that you can send access to your friends and family allowing them to enter your home temporarily or permanently with the app via a code.
There are a wide variety of Smart Security Devices available to buy for all budgets and tech abilities. Start making your home more secure today!